I catch a post of his every now and again, and today I happened to notice “Where Did You Grow Up?” In it, he states the following:
Whenever you ask people where they are FROM, there is always some followup statement that sounds something like:
‘Oh, but I grew up in LA’Â or ‘Oh but I grew up in New York’.
Like they somehow must right the wrong in their lives that has led them to Des Moines, IA.
Oh, Carlos. How could you know that people who grew up in Des Moines (and currently reside there) would actually read your blog?
This got me thinking, “I wonder if he has ever been to Des Moines. I wonder if he would ever want to come to Des Moines? Gosh, maybe I’ll ask him!”
So, Los, with the cautious optimism of a second grader about to win a state-wide spelling bee, I ask: Would you like to come and visit Des Moines?
Here’s what I’m proposing for your visit to the capital of the Hawkeye state:
- A visit to “Baby Boomers” to grab some of the chocolate chip cookies that President Obama had served at the inauguration.
- (If you come in August) A visit to the Iowa State Fair. Words fail to describe the essence of this world famous fair, but one can sum it up in two words: Mullet hunting.
- A chance to preach a Thursday night message at Immersion. You can preach on whatever you’d like. You can even talk about your blog. (Update: You can also lead worship at Immersion if you wish. Thanks, Andrea!)
- A t-shirt of your choosing from Des Moines’ own SMASH.
- A tour of downtown Des Moines via DART (Downtown Area Rapid Transit).
- A beverage of your choosing from Mars Cafe.
- The admiration and respect of thousands of Iowans.
I hereby decree this to be the “@LosWhit Challenge of 2009 And Beyond!” Will you help spread the word?
Encourage Los to embark on a journey he shan’t soon forget! Beg, plead, encourage, and share your stories of the bliss that is Des Moines with Los. You can find him here:
- His blog: www.RagaMuffinSoul.com or www.CarlosWhittaker.com
- His Twitter: www.Twitter.com/LosWhit
- His email: carlos[at]carloswhittaker[dot]com
So for you fellow lovers of Des Moines (or those of you who you enjoy a good challenge), join me in the “@LosWhit Challenge of 2009 And Beyond!” Tell your friends and let’s get Carlos to Des Moines!.